Albensi Laboratories COO Donald Albensi Jr. with 5 Roland DG DWX-51D Mills

Albensi Laboratories Powers Growth with Roland DG DWX-51D Technology

12/01/2016 Dental


Albensi Laboratories in Irwin, Pennsylvania, U.S.A, has been providing "smiles of satisfaction" to its clients since 1979. Over the past few years, Albensi Laboratories has transformed its production from fully analog to almost completely digital, helping it grow to a staff of 150 in a new, 30,000 square foot facility.

Albensi Laboratories provides fixed and removable prosthetics, creating digital restorations from both traditional impressions and intraoral scan files. To power its production, Albensi has vastly expanded its milling capabilities: In just four years the lab went from owning a single Roland DG DWX-50 5-axis dental milling system to owning 10, including five new DWX-51D dental milling machines.

"For years we were frustrated with our milled production. Then we got our first Roland DG DWX mill – the combination of quality, affordability and ease-of-use were the perfect solution," said COO Donald Albensi Jr.

"We needed equipment that could handle zirconia, hybrid abutments, and PMMAS – and we needed a 5-axis machine," said Chris Halke, CAD/CAM Supervisor. "We knew Roland DG's dental mills would be able to stand up to the production volume we envisioned here at Albensi and they have done exactly that."

Creating prosthetics

Today Albensi Laboratories produces approximately 500 units a day on its 10 Roland DG DWX mills. The mills are kept running 20 hours a day with staff on a staggered shift, and sometimes run over the weekend. Albensi's new, larger facility has a custom-built, climate-controlled milling room to house its 10 Roland DG mills. Albensi's clients include approximately 4,000 clinicians in 46 states. About 8% of their volume is local, while the other 92% of its cases are shipped out nation-wide.

Owning Roland DG  DWX series

With such a large production volume, Albensi Laboratories has spent time defining important operational efficiencies. "This is a new world for dental laboratories – with digital production, our whole workflow and staffing needs have changed. One of the primary reasons our lab has grown is the efficiency of our milled production," said Albensi Jr. To support its milling operation, Albensi has a dedicated CAD/CAM staff of 27. Albensi Jr. adds that with digital production, Albensi Laboratories has been able to cut its production time in half.

Halke notes that the in the newer Roland DG DWX-51D, the cleaning system intake hose has been redesigned and the calibration process is quicker. In addition, spindle replacement can be done in-house and all of the components of the mill are now enclosed, resulting in easier cleaning and less noise. "The improvements Roland DG made make our lives easier on a day-to-day basis," he said.

DWX-51D close-up

"Everyone is aware of laboratories that are outsourcing. Because of the efficiencies we've achieved with our Roland DG mills, we are able to bring work in-house. With a product like the Roland DG, we see a lot of work coming back to the States," said lab founder Albensi Sr.